Brenternet (The World as seen by Brent Moore)

Trying to appeal to the highest common denominator. I can't give you 110% effort, but I will give you 107.4% effort. If you're a spammer and leave me a comment, I will make fun of you. I use twice as many semicolons compared to most other bloggers

My Photo
Name:
Location: Smyrna, Tennessee, United States

As the title implies, I am Brent K. Moore. I married MariLynn Simons on Sept. 25, 1999. we attend Stewart's Creek Church of Christ. We have five pets, a dachshund, Slinkie, a malamute, Juno, and three rabbits, Ebunny and Ifurry, and now Houdini.

Thursday, February 15, 2007

a change in my mailing address, then Job postings

A change in my mailing address...
No, I'm not moving. (However we would soon like to move)
The city of Antioch, TN is changing its name to Cane Ridge, TN.

I am reminded of a joke I have heard from an ad for a stand-up comedian who will be in town soon: "I come from a particularly dangerous area of Los Angeles. It's called Los Angeles." Although the crime is not as bad, you could replace Los Angeles with Antioch. Well, apparently, some of our civic leader want to replace Antioch with Cane Ridge.

To paraphrase a civic leader on the news, "Nobody wants to come to Antioch, because when they think of Antioch, they think of crime, traffic and illegal immigrants." At about this time next year people will say that nobody wants to come to Cane Ridge , because when they think of Cane Ridge, the think of crime, traffic and illegal immigrants.

Maybe the way to combat this problem is to change our name every year. In 2008, we'll become Mill Creek, TN. In 2009, we'll become Hickory Hollow. in 2010, we'll become North Lavergne. In 2011, we'll become Rural Hill. Ad Nauseum.
***************************
I pull in the driveway at 3 o'clock in the morning smelling of perfume, but my wife doesn't worry, because she knows I've been repairing Pink Razr's all day. Someday, I may be able to get over the fact that I can work on a pink cell phone all day long. The think I can't get over is they all have lots of make-up in all of the grooves.
***************************
I am still fine with the job I have, but I have been too lazy to stop the weekly Monster.com weekly job posting email that arrive in my Inbox. I aspire to be a computer repair tech, and Monster is supposed to find the closest matches to what I am looking for in the Nashville area.

An odd one came in this week. Apparently, the Jack Daniels Distillery is looking for a full-time nurse. I've never taken the tour of their facility in Lynchburg, but I don't think of them as being a big enough company to require a full-time nurse. So I began to picture two things in my mind:
1) The head brewmaster falling into a large vat of alcohol
2) employees sipping enough whiskey on the clock to become tipsy and then bump into sharp things.
***************************
Led Zeppelin is one of my favorite rock bands. For anyone who likes rock music, how could you disagree? I have recently come to a strange realization regarding them. To me, all of their music sounds the same. I guess I like all of their songs (except for d'yer m'ker and the Lemon song) but except for the first side of their 4th album, I can't tell you what song came from what album. Let me pick 5 songs at random:
Thank You / Ozone Baby / Black Mountain Side / Hot Dog / Candy Store Rock
Of these, I recognize by title only the 4th one. But I assume I like listening to them all.

On a related note, one of the stranger tribute cds to come out it The Song Retains the Name, which is a collection of unusual remakes of Zep songs. It doesn't feature Hayseed Dixie.
***************************
I went to the newest WalMart supercenter in Nashville, at the old Harding Mall location. The thing that impressed me the most was the family of 7 Mennonites checking out the same time I did. (I think they were Mennonites, but they could have been Amish. They all had hats and plain clothes.) They all piled into their SUV and drove off.
***************************
I have a tv show idea for Comedy Central.

merge the concept of Trading Spaces with trailer park residents and you can have "Trailer Spaces." Rednecks aplenty! "Let's replace the yellow linoleum with UT Big Orange vinyl Tile!"
1689

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Dear Brent,
My husband and I were thinking about buying a home in cane ridge (we live in california)so I have been looking on the internet to find any info on the area. All I can find is bad news about antioch and then I read your blog which also makes it sound undesirable. I would really appreciate it if you can give me some insight into cane ridge as some one who lives there! any of your wife's opinions would be great too! Thank You so much! cathy

10:47 AM  
Blogger BrentKMoore said...

As it turns out, the area I live in will technically not become Cane Ridge, I think. Both the Antioch area and the Cane Ridge area are large places. Anything named Cane Ridge is probably in a more rural setting and not a bad neighborhood, However, Cane Ridge will still be next door to Antioch.

12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home